Duties & Responsibilities

  • Licensing/certificates/permits - The town clerk prepares many types of licensing to include, marriage, dog, death, hunting, fishing, and recycling
  • Resident Services- The town clerk prepares and files marriage licenses, death certificates, dog licenses, burn permits, recycling permits, sporting licenses also Notary Public services
  • Town Filing Officer - The town clerk must file in the office of the State Comptroller a copy of the Code of Ethics
  • Town Recording Management Officer - The town clerk must attend all meetings of the town board and keep a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of each meeting
  • Town Records Management Officer - The Town Clerk’s office is designated by state law as the Records Management Officer. Maintaining custody of all records, Ordinances, Local Laws, books and papers

Town Clerk Services

  • Dog License - The application shall be accompanied by the license fee and a certificate of rabies vaccination. Proof of neutering or spaying is also required.
  • Fishing and Hunting License - Fees vary according to type of license. A hunting certificate is needed to purchase a hunting licensee. Information is available at the Town Clerk Office
  • Handicap Placards - Handicap parking stickers can only be obtained at the Town Clerk’s office if you are a resident of Red Hook. An application needs to be completed by both the resident and medical physician. One handicap placard per person.  No fee is required.
  • Marriage License - A marriage license can be obtained Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. There is a $40 fee (cash or check only) and the license is valid for 60 days. A valid picture ID, birth certificate and a divorce decree must be shown. An example of picture ID; a driver’s license or passport.
  • Notary Service - The Town Clerk’s office offers free notary service during normal business hours.
  • Recycling Permits - Recycling Permits are for Red Hook residents only. The recycling center is open Wednesday and Saturday 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. Information is available in the Town Clerk’s office.

Recycling Stickers & Dog Licenses

  • Dog License - Enclose all information ( current rabies info) with self addressed stamped envelope with license fee, and the clerk’s office will mail back a dog tag and a copy of the completed license.
  • Resident Recycling Sticker Information - Please include a self addressed stamped envelope along with name, address, telephone number, license plate number and $15 for one vehicle and additional $3 for second vehicle sticker.